First built in 1896 by one chief engineer, Arthur J. West. under the British North Borneo Chartered Company Limited. It was first completed by the year 1900 for a 32 km railways long starting from Beaufort to Weston town. Later the following year, another 90km was built towards the Kota Kinabalu city centre, (formerly known as Jesselton) and another 48 km to Tenom town which have been completed in the year 1905. Since then, this rail road has been used by the people of Sabah for transporting their plants, fruits, timber and also rubber until the service was temporarily stopped several times because of development and the time the World War II comes. Now the Sabah State Railway Department is operating its railway services from Kota Kinabalu city centre all the way to Tenom town.